Thursday, August 27, 2015

I am (Not) a Patel and I Don't Need Reservation

I am an Indian youth and I am sad today! I have chosen not to be a solution to an existing problem, instead I have created a new problem for others to deal with. I chose to make mockery of the system and I am successful in doing so.

Just think about a scenario in which Hardik Patel who is demanding reservation for Patels is able to get it. 
  1. Do you think that he would end up doing some menial job which he gets from this reservation? 
  2. Or do you think he would be contesting election next season when some political party which is prying for him offers a ticket?
I believe it would be that Mr. Patel would choose option 2 which is a shortcut to politics and to be a millionaire in months as compared to option 1 which is still tough for a person struggling to even pass graduation exams.

Mr. Hardik Patel, please tell us your basis of merit,  tell us how would this solve problem in the long run? How this burst of leadership comes around you all of a sudden? How do you emerge as a charismatic leader able to pull such large crowdswhich no one has seen before? How do you figure out that you are not begging but demanding your rights? 


For a long time now, the request for reservation seemed to come from politicians (who were playing their vote game), so called people who were less literate or from some socially backward group who thought that it was a solution for their upliftment. And I used to criticize it at every possible opportunity I got, be it discussion among friends or social media like Facebook, Twitter or comment section on some news sites. I used to have a view that reservation is no good for anybody, it does bad more than it does any good. I used to say "Abolish it altogether". I don't know what happened to that thought process? 

It has not been very long when I used to discuss with my friends how reservation was bad for all of us, and it should be abolished. We discussed we don't need reservation rather we need a better mindset. And it is shameful that I am demanding reservation today; more so when I struggled to even pass my qualifying exams, or when I could not be a person of merit. I realize merit isn't for me, rather reservation is!

It seems like gone is the time when things which pissed me off were politicians, religions, bad infrastructure, slow economy, lame policies,  arrogant rich people, cricketers or celebrities. I had high hopes from my generation - I believed we will bring the change! But thanks to Mr. Patel that I can now look forward to fellow youth for failing me as well. I am still 2 generations behind when it comes to a progressive mindset; and I have pushed back all so called "changing time" by another 30 good years. 


I do not know if there is some political party behind all this, or if someone is saying Patels can have reservation in the state of Bihar (how ironic that sounds though!). I see it all as a successful attempt to create a national unrest, where motives of few encompass well being of all. We are again divided, we are always held back by this contaminating mindset. We are ready to be inducing violence, don't we realize loss of life and property?


All this when Patels have been making a mark for themselves globally, when Dr. Patel is a trusted doctors, Mr. Patel is an established businessmen and they are part of creating a mini India outside of India. All this while a few people are dying, property is being damaged and burnt and it is impacting lives of many; does future of my country seem to be in good hands?

I am ashamed, I am sad and I want to tell you I am (not) a Patel and I don't need reservation. 

Related: 
It is actually not based on merit: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Hardik-Patel-passed-BCom-exam-with-grace-marks/articleshow/48703908.cms

1 comment:

  1. Ever read any dalit magazine? No you have never I am sure of it, mainstream media cover-ups the inhuman atrocities like rape, murder, even in Court office staff members are indulging in vile acts of violence against dalits. Ever read "annihilation of caste" ? OK sorry forget all that, ever anyone of your family in Gujarat been killed just because he dared to walk into street of so called upper cast(even in 2014) in morning ? Did every barber in every small town ever denied you haircut because you are Patel (even in 2016)? Show me one housing society where Patel gives place on rent or sale to dalit. First get your facts strait:
    The word reservation is a misnomer. The appropriate word for it used in the Indian constitution is Representation. It is not given to anyone in his individual capacity. It is given to individual as a representative of the underprivileged community. It is not welfare program, it is a 'right to inclusion' in education and government bodies. They fought 160 years for that, shivaji's grandson was first to introduced 'restriction for varna-dharmi to 50%'. There were no term as Hindu, varna-darmi means brahman& baniya and everyone else were Adi-dharmi as in who have kuldevi. There is lot of dirty history that is not being taught in schools, specially in Gujarat.
    Reservation is not for economic reasons, money would not buy dalit even a haircut thank so cast based discrimination.
    The cause for the various types of disabilities that the underprivileged castes in India face / have faced, is the systemic historical subjugation of a massive magnitude based on caste system having a religious sanction. Therefore if the caste system was the prime cause of all the disabilities, injustice and inequalities that the Dalit-Bahujans suffered, then to overcome these disabilities the solution has to be designed on basis of caste only. An individual's Economic status can change. Low income may be taken to mean poverty. But the purchasing value of money, in India, depends upon caste like i already gave you example of denied survive at barber shop.
    Reservation is not an end in itself. It is a means to an end. The main aim is to achieve the active participation and sharing by the "socially excluded" humanity in all the fields of the affairs of the society. It is not panacea for all ills, neither it is permanent. It would be a temporary measure till such time the matrimonial advertisements in newspaper columns continue to contain the mention of caste.
    FYI I am Patel from Amreli native and women and I would not be educated and experiencing freedom if that was not in the charter of constitution which was compiled by do you know who?

    ReplyDelete